Monday 28 February 2011

Balance in your life...don't leave after 18 months :)

28 FEBRUARY 2010
Do you ever wonder what you would be doing if you weren't addicted to swing dancing?  I am pretty sure I would be a professional footballer and live on a sunny beach side throwing back paw paw smoothies every hour.  I wish!

I left my career as a commercial banker because I found something I was obsessed with. Yes I dreamed about Lindy Hop and was first to class, last to leave and lost all sense of balance. I would ear bash anyone who would listen about this dance I had stumbled across.  My family obviously were concerned. All those years in a finance orientated school and then onto university to study banking & finance -  and all I wanted to do was go swing dancing. Outrageous behaviour!

I see the same things happening now all around me.  I love how passionate London is about its' dancing. Dancers have to be kicked out of the dances at the end of the evening, they drool over You Tube clips of Skye & Frida, work on their swing tune collections and live on skyscanner looking for cheap flights to get to the next swing camp in some exotic location in Europe.

Being passionate about something is great and enjoy whatever phase you are going through.   I love swing dancing no less than those dizzy days when I first discovered but really enjoy hearing stories about the passionate London dancers.

My tip of the week  ( yes sounding like an old grandfather maybe.. ) is as follows: I have seen many many dancers get obsessed for about 18 months and then lose interest and leave our swing scene.  This type of passion has usually been at the expense of non dancing friend and non dancing interests and a real life balance occurs. DON"T shut out your non dancing friends, enjoy nights away from dancing and spend some dinners NOT talking about this addiction you have. I totally get it and it is a special gift to be able to enjoy this amazing dance but I want you to enjoy it all your life. Enjoy your journey... what's the hurry!

Throwing yourself 110% into something you love is exactly what I did... so go for it and enjoy it. Just ensure you can enjoy it for a long time!

That is my fluff for the week.
Scottie

No comments:

Post a Comment